Uintah County  

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)

Q: My neighbor doesn't control their weeds and they are infesting my property. What can I do?

A: There are many reasons people fail to control their weeds. Many do not realize that there are laws requiring noxious weed control. Some don't recognize the problem weeds pose to the community. Others don't want to be bothered with the effort or expense. Many of these people respond well to a concerned neighbors request that they control their weeds. But for those who refuse to control their weed there are other options.

It is important to note that the Weed Department may only enforce weed control on designated State and County Noxious Weed violations. Download and complete this Complaint Form and submit it to the Weed Supervisor for consideration. Non-noxious weed problems may be forwarded to other authorities. For fire hazards contact the Fire District at 435-781-6756. Ballard, Naples and Vernal each have their own policies concerning weed control.

Q: Why doesn't the Weed Department control all weeds?

A: The Weed Department's primary roll, as authorized by the State of Utah, is to enforce the Utah Noxious Weed Act. Weed control is the responsibility of the landowner, they are the steward of their land. The Weed Department is actively controlling all weeds on County properties and assists citizens, corporations and government agencies with their weed control.

Q: Why are there only a few weeds declared "noxious?"

A: Currently there are 54 State and 1 County noxious weeds. A weed may be declared noxious by the Utah State Commissioner of Agriculture or by the Uintah County Commission if it is determined to be, "especially injurious to public health, crops, livestock, land, or other property." Certainly not all weeds meet that criteria. Additionally, there are some weeds are not economically feasible to control at this time.

Q: There are weeds creating a fire hazard weeds near my property. What can be done about that?

A: If the weeds are on the designated State or County Noxious Weed List then the Weed Department can help solve this issue. If the weeds are non-noxious then contact the Fire District at 435-781-6756.

Q: I pay my taxes so why does the Weed Department charge for weed control services?

A: The Weed Department was organized by the County and is authorized by the State of Utah to enforce the Utah Noxious Weed Act. This Act states that it is the responsibility of the landowner to control their own weeds. The Uintah County Weed Department is funded through the general fund which does not provide for the total cost of weed control for all residents of the County, however, because of this tax, the Weed Department is able to provide noxious weed control for landowners at a significantly reduced cost for labor and herbicide. Much of your tax dollars go to providing weed control on the County's public rights-of-way system which in turn helps prevent weeds from spreading to private property.

Q: There are a bunch of vacant lots and developments that are full of weeds. Aren't developers, absentee landowners, etc. required to control their weeds too?

A: Yes they are! Part of the challenge is finding the owners. Planning and Zoning and the Weed Department can work together to clean up these local eye-sores but the landowner/manager must pay the bill.

Q: I have a concern about the use of herbicides sprayed along the road near my home. What can I do about that?

A: The Weed Department uses herbicides that are labeled for use on non-crop, rights-of-way, and pasture situations. These herbicides have been proven to be quite safe around animals and humans when used according to the label specifications. For those who have special needs such as sensitive plants, animals, and/or health concerns, there is a Zone 5 Herbicide Restriction provision that allows residents to restrict (not prevent) herbicide application along designated sections of rights-of-way directly related to real, personal property. Citizens who agree to the terms and conditions of this provision must be responsible to prevent the spread and reproduction of all State and County Noxious Weeds.